Max On Movies

I'm a huge fan of movies, and I always have been. I enjoy sharing my reviews with people, and I am open to friendly debate. I generally write a review of any movies that I see, but I will take requests or suggestions.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Wizard of Oz

There isn’t much left that I can say about this film that hasn’t been said millions of times by critics much greater I. The film is a timeless classic, and it will be a part of American culture forever. The famous lines, the enchanting characters, and the amazing songs are well known and well loved by everybody. The renowned story is light-hearted and fanciful, but at the same time is dark and, in fact, rather sinister. I think that is one of the reasons I love it so much, and indeed why everyone does. Undeniably, “The Wizard of Oz” is one of the most famous movies ever made, and it deserves every bit of its fame.
When the film first came out in 1939, it wasn’t very popular at all. In fact, it flopped at the box office, and didn’t win even one Oscar later. Over time, however, through annual screenings of the film on television and rapidly growing popularity, it soon became what it is today, the number one most watched movie of all time and top ten best movie of all time. “Oz” is also the number one most quotable movie of all time. “Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!” “I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore…” The list goes on and on. You would also be extremely hard-pressed to find someone who didn’t know who the Wicked Witch of the West was, or someone who didn’t love and appreciate them. That goes for the musical side of film, too, i.e. “Somewhere over the Rainbow.”
The film starts off light-heartedly and pleasantly, with Dorothy vying for her aunt’s and uncle’s attention as they go about their morning chores. But then, ominous music begins to sound and the malicious spinster Mrs. Gulch approaches the farm, meaning to take away Dorothy’s dog Toto. A lot of the film is like that, where everything is happy and wonderful and then all of a sudden, things take a turn for the dark and gloomy. But since this is a family film, and the special effects are anything but remotely believable, a lot of the dark nature of the film is hidden. Nevertheless, that threatening, sinister element remains, and it makes for a much more gripping and interesting story.
It is near impossible to find a film at the level of “Oz,” by means of fame and popularity, or by means of sheer quality. The quotes, the characters, and the fantastic songs are constantly referenced and spoofed. The story is joyful and child friendly but is mixed with dark and sinister undertones, in very pleasing way. This film deserves a strong ten out of ten stars, and I only regret that I can’t give it more. “The Wizard of Oz” is one of the greatest of all pop culture icons, and will remain so for a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment